NFL vs NBA

The NFL (National Football League) and the NBA (National Basketball Association) are two professional sports leagues, each consisting of approximately 30 teams. The NFL and the NBA are my two favorite sports leagues. Both of these leagues are very entertaining to watch and they can also be quite controversial. I will be outlining the points to determine which league is more entertaining to watch.

Football is a great spectator sport because it is so rowdy and it is easy to become captivated by the game. Football has some of the most loyal fans that get engrossed into the game, especially if it is a very thrilling tight game. According to Sports Illustrated, the Kansas City Chiefs’s stadium reached to 142.2 decibels of sound during one of their games!  As enthralling as football is, particularly with its loyal fans, the downside to this sport,  is that the referees can sometimes mar with the game and affect the outcome of the game. Countless times referees have made horrible calls or missed easy penalties, and those botched calls have sometimes resulted in a game that would have had a different result if the referee had made the correct call. On average, every game usually has around three to four bad calls made by referees.

Basketball is also a compelling spectator sport. I love to watch the NBA, particularly when the playoffs start. The fans in basketball are a little more laid back than in football. The games do get a little more intense in the playoffs, but not  nearly as much as in football.  Basketball is nice because even though it isn’t always as exhilarating as football, it is relaxing to watch a game that is stimulating yet less intense. Just as the referees have the opportunity to alter the game in football with bad calls, they also have the power to do the same in basketball. The refs in the NBA have been so bad in the past, that they have been a constant source of ridicule by the media for their awful calls. According to sbnation.com the NBA refs admitted they missed five calls in the last 13 seconds of a playoff game leading to an unexpected win.  Considering the stakes at the time, that is absurd!

If I were to pick my favorite league to watch though, it would probably be the NFL. Even though the refs can be bad in both leagues, the NFL referees are arguably better when it comes to fairness. The NFL makes you hyped and it is always is a joy  when watching a game. Basketball can get very tedious, watching players go up and down the court for countless minutes. Both leagues are very interesting to watch, but in my opinion, the NFL with its fervent and loyal fans, is more entertaining to watch between the two sports.

obj